MONROE, La. - The ULM tennis team cruised to victory in its first match of the season with a 6-1 defeat of McNeese State Saturday afternoon in Heard Stadium. The Warhawks swept all three doubles matches and all but one singles match to extend their home win streak to nine-straight, dating back to the 2010 season.
ULM (1-0) gave up just one game on the first two courts during doubles play as Medy Blankvoort and Monica Winkel blanked Andreea Nenu and Diana Pirciu 8-0 on court two. Silvia Tumova and Sophie Rufykiri clinched the doubles point with a quick 8-1 result on court two and Vivian Polak and Ema Turdija closed out doubles play with an 8-6 win.
The dominant performance continued during singles play as the Warhawks won in straight sets on the first five courts, led by Tumova at No. 5 with a 6-0, 6-0 defeat of Pirciu. Rufyikiri gave up just one game in a 6-1, 6-0 routing at No. 2 and No. 88 nationally ranked Polak took No. 4 singles 6-2, 6-0.
Blankvoort easily took down Tea Tvrkovic on court one 6-1, 6-1 and Winkel battled through the first set before claiming a 7-5, 6-1 win at No. 3, the Warhawks totaling just nine dropped games through the first five singles spots. McNeese State's (0-1) lone point came on court six where Marcella Castaldi defeated Isabelle Rocher 6-2, 6-3.
ULM returns to the court tomorrow afternoon when it hosts Alcorn State at 1:30 p.m. in Heard Stadium to wrap up its home opening weekend.
ULM 6, McNeese State 1
1. Medy Blankvoort (ULM) def. Tea Tvrtkovic (MCN) 6-1, 6-1
2. Sophie Rufyikiri (ULM) def. Lara Pujol (MCN) 6-1, 6-0
3. Monica Winkel (ULM) def. Anastasia Surkova (MCN) 7-5, 6-1
4. Vivian Polak (ULM) def. Andreea Nenu (MCN) 6-2, 6-0
5. Silvia Tumova (ULM) def. Diana Pirciu (MCN) 6-0, 6-0
6. Marcella Castaldi (MCN) def. Isabelle Rocher (ULM) 6-2, 6-3
1. Silvia Tumova/Sophie Rufyikiri (ULM) def. Tea Tvrtkovic/Lara Pujol (MCN) 8-1
2. Medy Blankvoort/Monica Winkel (ULM) def. Andreea Nenu/Diana Pirciu (MCN) 8-0
3. Vivian Polak/Ema Turudija (ULM) def. Anastasia Surkova/Marcella Castaldi (MCN) 8-6