MONROE, La. - The ULM tennis team rolled past Southern Miss 6-1 at Heard Stadium to conclude a three-match homestand Sunday afternoon. The Warhawks dominated with all three wins in doubles play and dropped just one singles match to move to 6-2 overall this season.
Vivian Polak and Ema Turudija paired up on court three to win the first match of the day, losing just one game to take down Mackenzie Oskin and Moorea Williams 6-1. Sophie Rufykiri and Silvia Tumova secured the doubles point by winning 8-2 at No. 2 doubles and Medy Blankvoort and Monica Winkel provided the sweep with an 8-3 win on court one.
Blankvoort continued her stranglehold on singles play this season by dropping just one game to defeat Oskin in straight sets 6-1, 6-0 on court three. She moves her undefeated streak to 8-0 this season, and has won nine straight matches dating back to last season.
No. 108 ranked Polak cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 4 singles while Turudija also gave up just two games in a 6-2, 6-0 thrashing of Frances Askew in No. 6 singles.
Winkel and Tumova also won both their matches in straight sets, with Winkel handing Alex Bradley a 6-4, 6-1 defeat on court five. Tumova was the final match of the day to finish, as she pulled out a hard-fought 7-5, 6-3 win over Kate Lanier to move to 3-0 on the season at No. 2 singles.
Elja van Berlo provided the lone point for the Golden Eagles (1-9), defeating Rufykiri on court one 6-3, 6-3.
The Warhawks hit the road again for three-straight matches, beginning Thursday at 1:30 p.m. against Arkansas-Fort Smith in Fort Smith, Ark. ULM plays Central Arkansas the following day at 1 p.m. followed by its first Sun Belt Conference tilt of the season at UALR Saturday at 10:30 a.m.
ULM 6, Southern Miss 1
1. Elja van Berlo (USMW) def. Sophie Rufyikiri (ULM) 6-3, 6-3
2. Silvia Tumova (ULM) def. Kate Lanier (USMW) 7-5, 6-3
3. Medy Blankvoort (ULM) def. Mackenzie Oskin (USMW) 6-1, 6-0
4. Vivian Polak (ULM) def. Moorea Williams (USMW) 6-1, 6-1
5. Monica Winkel (ULM) def. Alex Bradley (USMW) 6-4, 6-1
6. Ema Turudija (ULM) def. Frances Askew (USMW) 6-2, 6-0
1. Medy Blankvoort/Monica Winkel (ULM) def. Kate Lanier/Frances Askew (USMW) 8-3
2. Sophie Rufyikiri/Silvia Tumova (ULM) def. Elja van Berlo/Alex Bradley (USMW) 8-2
3. Ema Turudija/Vivian Polak (ULM) def. Mackenzie Oskin/Moorea Williams (USMW) 8-1