FORT SMITH, Ark. - The ULM tennis team easily dispatched of Arkansas-Fort Smith Thursday with a 6-1 defeat Thursday afternoon at the Fort Smith Athletic Club. The Warhawks move to 7-2 on the season and claim their third victory in a row.
Medy Blankvoort remains spotless on the season and improved to 9-0 in singles action with a 6-3, 6-1 victory at the No. 2 spot. She is riding a 10-match winning streak after ending the 2011 season with a win against Denver's Emma Isberg in the Sun Belt Conference quarterfinals.
Ema Turudija had the most dominant performance of the match, dropping just one game in a 6-0, 6-1 win over Masa Podunavac at No. 5 singles. Silvia Tumova earned a 6-1, 6-1 victory on court three and Vivian Polak took a 6-2, 6-1 decision, each owning identical 8-1 records in singles play.
Isabelle Rocher made a strong return to singles action with a 6-3, 6-0 thumping of Whitney Hobson on court six. Sophie Rufyikiri suffered to only loss at the hands of Arkansas-Fort Smith's Monica Pieratt after a hard-fought 1-6, 7-6, 10-8 result.
The Warhawks once again dominated in doubles action, taking all three matches to earn the point. On court three Turudija and Polak teamed up to take down Stanislava Harvanova and Masa Podunavac 8-1. Rufyikiri and Tumova claimed an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles, and Blankvoort and Monica Winkel closed doubles play with an 8-5 victory on court one.
ULM returns to the court tomorrow afternoon against Central Arkansas at 1 p.m. in Conway, Ark.
ULM 6, Arkansas-Fort Smith 1
1. Monica Pieratt (UAFS) def. Sophie Rufyikiri (ULM) 1-6, 7-6, 10-8
2. Medy Blankvoort (ULM) def. Abby Whittemore (UAFS) 6-3, 6-1
3. Silvia Tumova (ULM) def. Stanislava Harvanova (UAFS) 6-1, 6-1
4. Vivian Polak (ULM) def. Amy Belanger (UAFS) 6-2, 6-1
5. Ema Turudija (ULM) def. Masa Podunavac (UAFS) 6-0, 6-1
6. Isabelle Rocher (ULM) def. Whitney Hobson (UAFS) 6-3, 6-0
1. Monica Winkel/Medy Blankvoort (ULM) def. Monica Pieratt/Abby Whittemore (UAFS) 8-5
2. Sophie Rufyikiri/Silvia Tumova (ULM) def. Whitney Hobson/Amy Belanger (UAFS) 8-3
3. Ema Turudija/Vivian Polak (ULM) def. Stanislava Harvanova/Masa Podunavac (UAFS) 8-1