ULM Tennis Picks Up 10th Win after Toppling UL-Lafayette 5-2
MONROE, La. - The ULM tennis team started Super Warhawk Weekend off with a bang Thursday afternoon by claiming a 5-2 win over rival UL-Lafayette at Heard Stadium. Four Warhawks claimed straight-set singles victories to earn ULM's 10th win this season.
The Warhawks (10-2) remain undefeated in Sun Belt Conference play this season, moving their league record to 2-0. They also extend their winning streak to six-straight.
Medy Blankvoort continues her run in singles play, having yet to lose a match this season with a 6-1, 6-3 win in the No. 2 spot. She improves to 12-0 in singles action and has claimed 13-consecutive victories dating back to ULM's final match of the 2011 season.
ULM won doubles play for the eighth time this season to take the early point heading into singles. Vivian Polak and Ema Turudija handed Sandra Ahlgvist and Hannah Appleyard an 8-4 defeat on court three, and Silvia Tumova and Sophie Rufyikiri clinched the point winning 8-6 on court two.
Milou Israel and Erin Wilbert earned UL-Lafayette's (3-11, 0-2 Sun Belt) only doubles victory on court one, defeating Blankvoort and Monica Winkel 8-1.
Turudija also remains undefeated in singles play this year after thrashing Tara Vasovic 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 3 spot to move to 6-0. Tumova finished quickly behind Turudija by dealing Sophie van den Aarss a 6-1, 6-4 loss on court three to secure the match for the Warhawks.
ULM's final point came after Winkel took down Appleyard at No. 6 singles 6-2, 6-2. Rufyikiri and Polak suffered the Warhawks' only losses in singles play, each equalizing their matches in the second set before falling in the tiebreaker. The Ragin' Cajuns' Israel defeated Rufyikiri 6-4, 2-6 (10-8), and Ahlgvist topped Polak 6-4, 2-6 (10-6).
The Warhawks hit the road to face SMU in Dallas, Texas, on Sunday at 12 p.m.
ULM 5, UL-Lafayette 2
1. Milou Israel (ULL) def. Sophie Rufyikiri (ULM) 6-4, 2-6, 10-8
2. Medy Blankvoort (ULM) def. Erin Wilbert (ULL) 6-1, 6-3
3. Silvia Tumova (ULM) def. Sophie van den Aarss (ULL) 6-1, 6-4
4. Ema Turudija (ULM) def. Tara Vasovic (ULL) 6-2, 6-3
5. Sandra Ahlgvist (ULL) def. Vivian Polak (ULM) 6-4, 2-6, 10-6
6. Monica Winkel (ULM) def. Hannah Appleyard (ULL) 6-2, 6-2
1. Milou Israel/Erin Wilbert (ULL) def. Medy Blankvoort/Monica Winkel (ULM) 8-1
2. Silvia Tumova/Sophie Rufyikiri (ULM) def. Sophie van den Aarss/Tara Vasovic (ULL) 8-6
3. Ema Turudija/Vivian Polak (ULM) def. Sandra Ahlgvist/Hannah Appleyard (ULL) 8-4