Blankvoort Improves to 13-0, Warhawks Down SMU 4-3
IRVING, Texas - Medy Blankvoort won her 13th straight singles match to lead the ULM tennis team to its seventh consecutive victory against SMU 4-3 at Las Colinas Country Club Sunday afternoon. The Warhawks (11-2, 2-0 Sun Belt) claimed revenge over the Mustangs from the 2011 season, who handed them their only regular season loss.
SMU ranked as high as 31st during the 2012 season and remained in the top-75 through Feb. 28's Campbell's ITA National Ranking. The Mustangs' (1-11) lone victory among a very competitive schedule which featured eight ranked teams was against then-No. 40 Princeton 4-3.
Blankvoort fought back from a 4-6 loss in the first set with 7-5, 3-1 results and forced SMU's Heather Steinbauer to retire. She rolls to her 14th straight singles victory since 2011, with this match marking just the third time she had to go to a tiebreaker and the second her opponent retired in the deciding set.
The native of Huizen, The Netherlands, clinched ULM's victory with her win at No. 2 singles after Ema Turudija and Monica Winkel defeated their opponents on courts five and six. Turudija took down Perri Anderson 6-4, 6-2, and Winkel cruised past Kris Roberts 6-2, 6-2.
Turudija also remains undefeated in singles action with a 7-0 record, improving to a seven match winning streak.
The Warhawks shut down all three doubles matches to secure the doubles point, Turudija and Vivian Polak taking a definitive 8-3 decision over Anderson and Erika Marschall. Winkel and Blankvoort won on court two 8-4, and Sophie Rufyikiri and Silvia Tumova pulled out an 8-6 win on court one.
Polak and Rufyikiri each suffered losses at No. 4 and No. 1 singles, respectively. Polak went to a tiebreaker for a second-straight match and fell 6-2, 6-7, 10-5 while Edyta Ciepulcha downed Rufyikiri 6-2, 6-2. SMU's Ekena Fayer also picked up a win over Tumova 6-4, 6-1.
ULM returns home for the first of its final two home matches this season on Sunday. The Warhawks plays their rescheduled match against Sun Belt Conference opponent Arkansas State at 1 p.m. at Heard Stadium.
ULM 4, SMU 3
1. Edyta Cieplucha (SMU) def. Sophie Rufyikiri (ULM) 6-2, 6-2
2. Medy Blankvoort (ULM) def. Heather Steinbauer (SMU) 4-6, 7-5, 3-1, retired
3. Elena Fayer (SMU) def. Silvia Tumova (ULM) 6-4, 6-1
4. Ashley Turpin (SMU) def. Vivian Polak (ULM) 6-2, 6-7, 10-5
5. Ema Turudija (ULM) def. Perri Anderson (SMU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Monica Winkel (ULM) def. Kris Roberts (SMU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Sophie Rufyikiri/Silvia Tumova (ULM) def. Edyta Cieplucha/Heather Steinbauer (SMU) 8-6
2. Monica Winkel/Medy Blankvoort (ULM) def. Elena Fayer/Kris Roberts (SMU) 8-4
3. Vivian Polak/Ema Turudija (ULM) def. Perri Anderson/Erika Marschall (SMU) 8-3