10 Victories in a Row for ULM Tennis after 5-2 Win over UAB
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The ULM tennis team cruised to its 10th straight victory in a row after it claimed the doubles point and four singles matches in a 5-2 defeat of UAB Friday afternoon at George Ward Park.
The Warhawks (14-2) swept all three doubles matches against the Conference USA foe, which included identical 8-3 results by Sophie Rufyikiri and Silvia Tumova on court one and Ema Turudija and Vivian Polak on court three. Medy Blankvoort and Monina Winkel also fought to an 8-7 win at No. 2.
Turudija thrashed Menanteau Mooman 6-1, 6-1 in No. 5 singles to remain undefeated on the season to move to 10-0 overall. The Warhawks have not lost a contest since she entered the starting lineup.
Tumova and Winkel also took down their opponents in straight-sets. Tumova coasted 6-2, 6-2 on court three and Winkel came in with a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 4. Polak won her match by default with no Blazer (6-10) to play in the sixth spot.
The top two singles positions suffered ULM's only losses of the day, as Blankvoort was handed her first defeat of the season 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 to snap a 16-match winning streak. UAB's Paula Alvarez fought back from a first set loss to Rufyikiri to win 3-6, 6-4, 10-6.
ULM remains in Birmingham to conclude the regular season against No. 58 Tulane Sunday at 9 a.m.
ULM 5, UAB 2
1. Paula Alvarez (UAB) def. Sophie Rufyikiri (ULM) 3-6, 6-4, 10-6
2. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Medy Blankvoort (ULM) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
3. Silvia Tumova (ULM) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 6-2, 6-2
4. Monica Winkel (ULM) def. Caroline Faught (UAB) 6-4, 6-4
5. Ema Turudija (ULM) def. Menanteau Moolman (UAB) 6-1, 6-1
6. Vivian Polak (ULM) def. No player (UAB), by default
1. Sophie Rufyikiri/Silvia Tumova (ULM) def. Paula Alvarez/Isabel Fernandez (UAB) 8-3
2. Medy Blankvoort/Monica Winkel (ULM) def. Rachel Daniell/Menanteau Moolman (UAB) 8-7
3. Ema Turudija/Vivian Polak (ULM) def. Caroline Faught/Sarah Witkowski (UAB) 8-3