ULM Falls to No. 58 Tulane to End Regular Season
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The ULM tennis team battled No. 58 Tulane Sunday morning but fell 4-0 to close out the regular season at the UAB Tennis Courts.
The Warhawks (14-3) and the Green Wave (18-5) each brought winning streaks into the contest as Tulane improved to its fifth consecutive win overall and on the road this season. The loss ended ULM's 10 match roll.
In doubles Sophie Rufyikiri and Silvia Tumova dropped an 8-4 decision at the No. 1 spot, and Vivian Polak and Ema Turudija were taken down 8-3 to lose the point. Monica Winkel and Medy Blankvoort tussled with Caroline Thornton and Caroline Magnusson, but the match was called with the score 6-6.
Blankvoort was the only Warhawk to stay up in singles action by winning the first set and leading the second 6-3, 3-2 before going unfinished on court three. Tumova and Polak's matches at No. 2 and No. 6 singles, respectively, also ended mid-way through their second sets.
Tulane guaranteed its victory with wins against Rufyikiri, Winkel and Turudija. Rufiyikiri and Turudija lost with identical 6-2, 6-3 results, and Magnusson blanked Winkel 6-0, 6-0.
ULM turns its attention to the Sun Belt Conference Tournament with the conclusion of regular season play, and is hungry to avenge its loss in the first round against Denver last year. The tournament begins Thursday in Denton, Texas, with the seeds and brackets to be announced Tuesday afternoon.
Tulane 4, ULM 0
1. Mariam Kurdadze (TU) def. Sophie Rufyikiri (ULM) 6-2, 6-3
2. Emma Levy (TU) vs. Silvia Tumova (ULM) 6-3, 2-3, unfinished
3. Caroline Thornton (TU) vs. Medy Blankvoort (ULM) 3-6, 2-3, unfinished
4. Caroline Magnusson (TU) def. Monica Winkel (ULM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jenny Hois (TU) def. Ema Turudija (ULM) 6-2, 6-3
6. Lindsay Dvorak (TU) vs. Vivian Polak (ULM) 6-1, 1-5, unfinished
1. Emma Levy/Mariam Kurdadze (TU) def. Sophie Rufyikiri/Silvia Tumova (ULM) 8-4
2. Caroline Thornton/Caroline Magnusson (TU) vs. Monica Winkel/Medy Blankvoort (ULM) 6-6,
3. Hila Elster/Lindsay Dvorak (TU) def. Vivian Polak/Ema Turudija (ULM) 8-3