ULM to Close Out Non-Conference Slate at Tulane
MONROE, La. - The ULM football team will close out the month of September with its final non-conference game of 2012 when it faces Tulane in New Orleans Saturday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.
The game will air on Cox Sports Television, to find out if CST is available in your viewing area, please click here. The contest can also be heard on the Warhawk Radio Network by tuning into 104.1 FM (Monroe), 710 AM (Shreveport) or by visiting www.ulmwarhawks.com.
Live stats will be available and can be accessed by clicking here. Lastly, fans can join the conversation on Twitter by following @ULMWarhawks and using the hashtag #WarhawkFB.
First and Ten...
- ULM and Baylor combined for 89 points, 173 plays and 1,109 yards of total offense in the shootout at Malone Stadium (Sept. 21)... There were only three punts attempted in the contest (Baylor, 2; ULM,1) and the two teams finished a combined 7-for-8 in the redzone.
- The 262 rushing yards (43 carries) that ULM amassed against Baylor are the most during the Todd Berry era... It is the highest total for the Warhawks since they tallied 290 rushing yards (41 carries) in a 21-18 victory over Western Kentucky on November 14, 2009.
- ULM has scored first in four consecutive games (at Florida Atlantic , vs. Arkansas, at Auburn, Baylor)... All four scores have been touchdowns.
- After committing eight penalties during the first two games, the Warhawks were whistled for eight penalties against Baylor (8 penalties - 44 yards).
- Entering the contest against Baylor, Monterrell Washington had one carry for no gain in 2012... Against the Bears, Washington scored his first career touchdown with a nine-yard rush to push the ULM lead to 14-0 with 1:33 to play in the first quarter... On Washington's next carry he rushed up the middle for 48 yards for his second score of the game, putting ULM ahead, 21-7 (12:00, 2nd Quarter)... Washington finished with seven carries for 86 yards and two TDs... Prior to the career night, Washington had 36 career rushing yards on 18 carries with a long of nine yards.
- Jyruss Edwards surpassed the 100-yard rushing plateau for the second time in his Warhawk career with 120 rushing yards against Baylor (21 carries)... He recorded his 17th career rushing touchdown with a 58-yard TD run against the Bears... Edwards is the team's rushing leader with 232 rushing yards (53 carries).
- With 49 rushing yards against Baylor, Kolton Browning went over the 1,000-yard mark as he now has 1,004 career rushing yards... He needs just 40 yards of total offense to reach the 7,000-yard mark for his career.
- Through three games, Kolton Browning is 95-of-152 for 921 yards with eight touchdowns and two interceptions... Browning has also rushed 43 times for 176 yards and three touchdowns.
- ULM lined up two quarterbacks in the backfield on its third drive of the contest against Baylor... Cody Wells and Kolton Browning combined to go 4-for-4 for 43 yards before Monterrell Washington's 48-yard TD run.
- The ULM defense (DaCorris Ford; Rob'Donovan Lewis) picked off Baylor's Nick Florence on back-to-back possessions in the first quarter... Entering Friday night's contest, Nick Florence had two interceptions (in first two games of 2012)... The two interceptions by ULM tied a season-high (Arkansas, Sept. 8).
- R.J. Young led the Warhawks with 14 tackles (7 solo, 7 asst) against Baylor... On the season, the senior leads ULM with 27 tackles (12 solo, 15 asst)... Mitch Lane ranks second on the team with 23 total tackles (10 solo, 13 asst).
- Cortney Davis has totaled 108 kickoff return yards this season (7 attempts) with a long of 25 yards.
- Justin Manton is 14-for-14 on PATs in 2012... As a true freshman in 2011, he set a school-record with 32 consecutive PATs and he finished 34-for-36 on the season.
Saturday's contest between ULM and Tulane is just the third meeting all-time between the two Louisiana schools. Tulane leads the series, 2-0, with one win coming in New Orleans and the other at Malone Stadium.
Friday Night Shootout
On September 21, ULM and Baylor accounted for 89 points, 173 plays and 1,109 yards of total offense in the nationally-televised game (ESPN).
ULM took an early 14-0 lead thanks in part to a pair of Baylor turnovers. ULM again led by 14 (21-7) before Baylor scored the final 17 points of the half to take a 24-21 lead into the lockerroom at intermission.
The two teams battled back and forth in the second half but a fourth quarter fumble by ULM proved to be the difference as Baylor pushed the lead to 12 (47-35) with 2:25 to play. ULM scored with six seconds to play to set the final tally at 47-42.
ULM welcomed 31,175 fans through the gates for its 2012 home opener against Baylor. It is the largest crowd to ever fill Malone Stadium and marks just the second time in program history that the Malone Stadium attendance figure topped 30,000 (Grambling, 31,101, November 20, 2007).
Hello Mr. Washington
Entering the contest against Baylor, junior RB Monterrell Washington had just 18 career carries for 36 yards with a long run of nine yards. He had just one carry for no gain in 2012.
However, Washington made the most of his seven rushing attempts against the Bears. Washington finished with 86 rushing yards and two touchdowns (9 yards; 48 yards).
On his first rush of the night, Washington raced 22 yards down to the Baylor 9. He followed with a nine-yard TD run on the next play as he stretch the ball across the goal line to give ULM a 14-0 lead with 1:33 remaining in the first.
On his next carry, Washington raced up the middle for a 48-yard TD to give ULM a 21-7 advantage with 12 minutes to play in the 2nd quarter. Washington finished the night with a yards per carry average of 12.3.
ULM senior LB R.J. Young set a new career high with 14 tackles (7 solo, 7 asst) in the 47-42 loss to Baylor (Sept. 21).
Young's 14 tackles were the most by a ULM player during the Todd Berry era. Former Warhawk Jason Edwards tallied 13 tackles on three different occasions (at Arkansas State, 9/18/10; at North Texas, 10/22/11; Western Kentucky, 10/29/11).
Dating back to the final game of 2011, ULM's Justin Manton has connected on 16 consecutive PATs. Through the first three games of 2012 he is 14-for-14 (vs. Arkansas, 4-for-4; at Auburn, 4-for-4; Baylor, 6-for-6).
As a true freshman, Manton set a school-record by hitting 32 consecutive PATs. He finished the season 34-of-36 on PATs.