ULM to Host Florida Atlantic During Hall of Fame Weekend
MONROE, La. - The ULM football team returns to Malone Stadium for just its second home game of the 2012 season when it hosts Florida Atlantic Saturday night. Kick-off is slated for 7:06 p.m. and the game will air on the Sun Belt Network (CSS) and ESPN3 as well as Warhawks All-Access.
|Setting the Stage: ULM vs. Florida Atlantic|
||Saturday, October 13, 2012|
|Time||7:06 p.m. (CT)|
|Location||Monroe, La. (Malone Stadium)|
|Television / Video||Sun Belt Network (ESPN3.com / Warhawks AA) /|
|Radio||104.1 FM (Monroe) / 710 AM (Shreveport) / ULMWarhawks.com|
|Internet||Live Stats / Twitter: @ULMWarhawks & #WarhawkFB|
|Team Information||ULM Gameday Central | Florida Atlantic Football|
First and Ten...
- Middle Tennessee scored the first points of the game (44-yard field goal) as it snapped ULM's five-game streak of scoring first... The victory by ULM marked the second time in the 13-game series that the team scoring first did not win the game.
- ULM totaled 500 yards of total offense in the 31-17 win at Middle Tennessee... It marked the fourth time this season that the Warhawks reached the 500+ yard plateau and the club owns a 3-1 record in 2012 when tallying 500 or more yards of total offense.
- The win at Middle Tennessee was just the third in a Sun Belt Conference opener for the Warhawks... The club is now 3-9 (.250) in conference openers... The other two wins also came on the road (at Florida Atlantic, W, 28-21 ; at Florida Atlantic, W, 27-25 ).
- Kolton Browning finished 26-for-38 for 285 yards with one touchdown pass and one interception at Middle Tennessee... He also rushed for 44 yards on 10 carries and the junior climbed the ranks in four different career categories... Browning now ranks second in career completions (614), third in career pass attempts (1,008), third in total offense (7,555) and fourth in career passing yards (6494).
- Jyruss Edwards tallied two rushing touchdowns for the second consecutive game... His two scores at Floyd Stadium in Murfreesboro, Tenn., moved him into a tie for fourth place all-time in ULM history with 21 career rushing touchdowns (Steven Jyles, 21, 2002-05)... He needs just two rushing TDs to move into sole possession of third place (Greg Robinson, 22, 1991-92).
- Centarius Donald rushed for 71 yards on 20 carries with one touchdown against the Blue Raiders.
- Brent Leonard led the Warhawks with eight receptions at Middle Tennessee while Tavarese Maye led the team in receiving yards (77).
- Je'Ron Hamm had the lone receiving touchdown of the contest... His three-yard touchdown reception gave ULM a 17-3 advantage with 3:40 remaining in the second quarter.
- In the fourth quarter, Isaiah Newsome intercepted Middle Tennessee's Logan Kilgore in the endzone and returned it to the ULM eight yard line... The Warhawks were able to run out the clock with a 16-play, 70 yard drive spanning 8:25.... Newsome's interception was the first of the season and the fourth of his career.
- R.J Young and Cordero Smith each forced a fumble at Middle Tennessee... It was Young's third career forced fumble and Smith's second career forced fumble... R.J. Young recovered the fumble he forced for his second career fumble recovery, while Rob'Donovan Lewis recovered the fumble forced by Cordero Smith for his first career fumble recovery.
- Cordero Smith and Rob'Donovan Lewis led the team with six total tackles in the 31-17 win at Middle Tennessee.
- Justin Manton was successful on his first FG attempt of the season at Middle Tennessee... Manton's 32-yard FG pushed the ULM lead to 10-3 with 11:42 remaining in the second quarter... On the season, he is now 1-for-3 with his other two attempts coming at Auburn.
- Justin Manton is 27-for-27 on PATs in 2012... As a true freshman in 2011, he set a school-record with 32 consecutive PATs and he finished 34-for-36 on the season.
- At Middle Tennessee, Cortney Davis set career highs in kickoff return yards (106) and long return (30 yards).
Saturday's contest between ULM and Florida Atlantic will be the ninth meeting all-time between the two conference schools.
ULM has won three games in a row and four of the last five.
Controlling the Clock
The ULM football team set a new program best under Coach Berry when they held the ball for 39:54 in the 31-17 win at Middle Tennessee. It is 35 seconds higher than the previous mark of 39:19 in the win over Arkansas (Sept. 8, 2012).
Moving the Ball and Racking Up Yards
During the 2012 season the Warhawks have set new Berry-Era Highs in both first downs and total offense.
In the 34-31 win over Arkansas, ULM set a new mark with 550 yards of total offense while tying the high with 30 first downs.
Less than two weeks later, both of those marks were surpassed in the 47-42 loss to Baylor. ULM totaled 560 yards of total offense with 31 first downs.
In all, the Warhawks have totaled 27 or more first downs in all five games and have finished with 500+ yards of total offense four times.
200 Again... Again... and Again...
The ULM ground attack has surpassed the 200-yard plateau in three consecutive games. Against Baylor, the club tallied 262 rushing yards and followed that with 222 yards against Tulane and 204 yards in the Sun Belt opener at Middle Tennessee.
Rushing to the Top
Junior RB Jyruss Edwards found the endzone twice in ULM's 63-10 victory at Tulane (September 29). Edwards now has four rushing touchdowns on the season and 19 for his career.
Edwards found the endzone twice against Middle Tennessee as he helped ULM improve to 3-2 overall and 1-0 in conference play with the 31-17 victory.
With 21 career rushing touchdowns, Edwards is now tied for fourth in program history (Steven Jyles, 21, 2002-05).
In ULM's 31-17 win over Middle Tennessee (Oct. 6), the squad registered four TFLs, forced and recovered two fumbles, and had one interception.
R.J. Young finished with five solo tackles (two for loss) and recovered the fumble he forced. Cordero Smith forced the other Blue Raider fumble and Rob'Donovan Lewis jumped on the loose ball. Ray Stovall and Isaiah Newsome each had one TFL. Newsome also intercepted Middle Tenneesee's Logan Kilgore in the endzone with just over eight minutes to play and the Warhawks were able to run out the clock with a 16-play, 70-yard drive.
Party Like it's 1999
In ULM's 63-10 win at Tulane, the Warhawks scored a pair of defensive touchdowns.
The two defense scores marked the first time ULM scored two or more defensive touchdowns in a game since the 1999 season. ULM intercepted Northwestern State QB Brad Spangler three times and returned all three for touchdowns as ULM cruised to a 38-7 win (Sept. 25, 1999).
In the first quarter, R.J. Young returned an interception 49 yards to the Tulane 6-yard line before fumbling into the endzone where it was recovered by Ray Stovall. Young was credited with 55 return yards on the play.
In the third quarter, Darius Lively snagged Ponder's pass attempted out of the air and returned it six yards for a touchdown. Preston Coleman also intercepted Ponder in the final non-conference game of 2012.
Jump AroundWith ULM facing a 4th-and-8 at its on 33 yard line in the 4th quarter at Middle Tennessee, Justin Manton lined up for a punt but instead of kicking the ball away, Manton took a few steps and then jumped into the air. Manton connected with TE Keavon Milton on a jump pass and Milton picked up 11 yards to give the Warhawks a 1st-and-10 at the Warhawk 44-yard line.