MONROE, La. – ULM will put its three-game win streak on the line when it battles Western Kentucky Saturday afternoon at Houchens-Smith Stadium. The Hilltoppers are riding a four-game win streak and the squad has won its last nine conference games.
|Setting the Stage: ULM vs. Western Kentucky
||Saturday, October 20, 2012|
|Time||3 p.m. (CT)|
|Location||Bowling Green, Ky. (Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium)|
|Television / Video||ESPN3.com|
|Radio||104.1 FM (Monroe) / 710 AM (Shreveport) / ULMWarhawks.com|
|Internet||Live Stats / Twitter: @ULMWarhawks & #WarhawkFB|
|Team Information||ULM Gameday Central | Western Kentucky Football|
First and Ten...
- ULM scored the first points of the game against Florida Atlantic... Brent Leonard's three-yard reception from Kolton Browning gave ULM a 7-0 advantage with 9:06 to play in the first quarter... It marked the fifth time (in six games) that ULM scored first this season.... All five scores have been touchdowns and the only time ULM didn't score first was at Middle Tennessee (Oct. 6).
- The 26 plays run by ULM in the first half against Florida Atlantic were the fewest of the season for the Warhawks.
- With ULM's victory over Florida Atlantic, the Sun Belt Conference now has five teams with four or more wins in 2012... It is the first time in conference history that the Sun Belt has had five teams with four or more wins by the end of week seven.
- ULM is 2-0 in the Sun Belt for the first time since the 2009 season... The Warhawks started the 2009 campagin with a 3-0 record in league play and finished the season 5-3 in conference play and 6-6 overall.
- ULM finished with 194 rushing yards against Florida Atlantic... It broke the Warhawks streak of three consecutive games of rushing for 200 or more yards.
- Brent Leonard's first quarter TD reception was the 3rd of the season for the senior and the 10th of his career.
- Monterrell Washington's second quarter TD run (36 yards) was the fourth of the season (and career) for the junior... Washington added another rushing TD in the fourth quarter for his second multiple rushing TD contest of the season (Baylor, Sept. 21)... Washington finished the game with four carries for 45 yards (11.2 ypc).
- Harley Scioneaux's TD reception in the third quarter was his third catch of the season (all three have been touchdowns).
- Kolton Browning completed 10 passes for 147 yards with two TD passes... He also rushed 10 times for 59 yards.
- The ULM defense tallied 11 tackles for loss in the win over Florida Atlantic... The stingy defense also recorded five sacks in the contest... Gerrand Johnson, Mitch Lane, Austin Moss all recorded their first career sack Saturday night... Ray Stovall recorded his second sack of the season while Cody Robinson assisted on his first career sack (with Jackson Randle).
- Mitch Bailey scored his first career defensive TD with as he recovered FAU punter, Sean Kelly's fumble in the endzone... Bailey's defensive TD gave ULM a 21-0 advantage with 5:35 to play in the second quarter.
- With a 5-for-5 effort on PATs against Florida Atlantic, Justin Manton tied his own school record... With 32 consecutive PATs this season, Manton tied the single-season streak he set as a true freshman in 2011... Manton is 32-for-32 on the season and he is now 66-for-68 on PATs during his career.
Saturday's contest between ULM and Western Kentucky will be the eighth meeting all-time and just the fourth since the series resumed during the 2009 season. The Warhawks had won three straight in the series before last season's overtime loss at Malone Stadium (L, 28-31, Oct. 29, 2011).
ULM Firsts... Since 2009
ULM is riding a three-game win streak (at Tulane, at Middle Tennessee, Florida Atlantic) and the Warhawks are currently 2-0 in conference play.
The last time ULM had a three-game win streak was during the 2009 season as they defeated Florida Atlantic (Away), FIU (Home) and Arkansas State (Home). ULM started the 2009 with three-straight league wins and the team finished that season 5-3 in the conference (T-3rd) and 6-6 overall.
Washington Goes for Two
Junior Monterrell Washington made the most of his time on the field as he finished with 45 yards on four carries and two touchdowns. It is Washington's second multiple score game of the season. He also had two rushing touchdowns in the 2012 home opener against Baylor.
The ULM ground attack was held under 200 total rushing yards against Florida Atlantic as it finished with 194 net rushing yards. It broke the team's three-game streak of rushing for 200 or more yards (Baylor, 262; at Tulane, 222; at Middle Tennessee, 204).
17 or Less
During ULM's current three game win streak, the defense has allowed just 13.7 points per game (41 total points).
Sept. 29 - at Tulane - 10 points allowed - W, 63-10
Oct. 6 - at Middle Tenn. - 17 points allowed - W, 31-17
Oct. 13 - FAU - 14 points allowed - W, 35-14
Defending the Run
Through ULM's first six games, the Warhawk defense is allowing just 104.3 rushing yards per game. In four of the six games, ULM has held its opponents under 100 total rushing yards.
34 And Counting...
Dating back to the final game of 2011, ULM's Justin Manton has connected on 34 consecutive PATs.
Through the first six games of 2012 he is 32-for-32 (vs. Arkansas, 4-for-4; at Auburn, 4-for-4; Baylor, 6-for-6; at Tulane, 9-for-9; at Middle Tennessee, 4-for-4; Florida Atlantic, 5-for-5).
He is currently tied with the school record he set a season ago. As a true freshman, Manton set a single season school-record by hitting 32 consecutive PATs. He finished the season 34-of-36 on PATs.
The ULM career record for consecutive PATs is 55. Rob Tallent hit 55 straight PATs from 1989-91 (16 over 10 games in 1989, 22 over 11 games in 1990 and 17 over 10 games in 1991).