|Setting the Stage
||Southeastern Louisiana (1-5) at ULM (0-4)
||Monday, Dec. 10, 2012
|Time||7:00 p.m. (CT)|
|Location||Monroe, La. | Fant-Ewing Coliseum
||105.3 (Monroe) | ulmwarhawks.com|
|Internet||Live Stats | Twitter: @ULMWarhawks
||Game Notes (PDF)
ULM hosts in-state rival Southeastern Louisiana on Monday at 7 p.m. inside Fant-Ewing Coliseum. The Warhawks are coming off an 83-58 loss at UALR on Dec. 1, while the Lions dropped a 61-58 decision at home to Southeast Missouri State on Dec. 1. The game can be heard locally on KLIP 105.3 FM in Monroe or online at ulmwarhawks.com, with Nick White calling the action.
LAST GAME: UALR RECAP
• ULM hung tough in the first half, but UALR scored 51 points after halftime to pick up an 83-58 victory over the Warhawks on Dec. 1 inside the Jack Stephens Center. The Trojans took advantage at the free-throw line, where they outscored the Warhawks 23-7 for the game.
• Junior forward Jayon James paced the Warhawks with 15 points and four assists on 5-of-16 shooting from the field. Junior guard Marcelis Hansberry added a season-high 14 points off the bench on 5-of-7 shooting. Junior guard R.J. McCray matched James with a team-best four assists and junior forward Millaun Brown led the Warhawks with a career-best eight rebounds.
• ULM shot 38.9 percent from the field and knocked home a season-best nine 3-pointers on 25 attempts against the Trojans. The Warhawks struggled from the charity stripe, making just 7 of 17 attempts. ULM also reached 20 turnovers for the second time this season.
• The Warhawks opened the scoring and led for the first 13 minutes of the first half, until Ben Dillard hit his first of three 3-pointers in the game to give the Trojans a 21-20 lead with 6:51 to play before the break. The 3-pointer was part of a 9-0 run that gave UALR the lead for good. The Trojans held a 32-27 lead at halftime, then used a 9-1 spurt to begin the second half and put the game away.
• The UALR benched outscored ULM's 42-23, paced by a game-high 17 points from Dillard. Dillard hit three of UALR's 10 3-pointers on the night. He was also one of three Trojans that made four free throws in the game.
• ULM is averaging 53.8 points and shooting 38.5 percent from the field and 28.8 percent from 3-point range. The Warhawks have struggled from the free-throw line, shooting 51.6 percent through the first four games of the season.
• Junior guard Amos Olatayo leads the Warhawks with an average of 16.3 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.3 steals per game this season. Olatayo has a pair of 21-point scoring games in the Warhawks' first four games. The Alief, Texas, native is shooting 46.2 percent from the field.
• The Warhawks have had balanced scoring with six players averaging at least 6.7 points per game so far: Olatayo (16.3), junior forward Jayon James (9.5), sophomore guard Trent Mackey (8.3), junior forward Millaun Brown (7.5), junior guard R.J. McCray (7.3) and junior guard Marcelis Hansberry (6.7). All six players have scored in double figures at least once this season.
• The Warhawks had a season-low four steals in their last outing against UALR, but are still averaging 7.3 takeaways per game this season. Olatayo leads the Warhawks with seven steals this season.
• Southeastern Louisiana enters Monday with a record of 1-5 and has dropped two straight games. The Lions lone victory of the season came at home against Louisiana College (91-49) on Nov. 20. Southeastern Louisiana has road losses at Wisconsin (87-47), Marquette (64-53), New Mexico State (81-56) and Louisiana Tech (99-62) and its home loss to Southeast Missouri State (61-58). According to the Pomeroy Basketball Rankings, the Lions have the second toughest non-conference schedule in the nation, behind Mississippi Valley State and just ahead of Duke.
• The Lions average 61.2 points and are shooting 39.5 percent from the field, 28.9 percent from 3-point range and 62.6 percent at the free-throw line.
• Senior Brandon Fortenberry is the only Southeastern Louisiana player to average double figures in scoring with 10.2 points per contest. Fortenberry is shooting 38.6 percent (22-of-57) from the field, 28.6 percent (6-of-21) from 3-point range and 64.7 percent (11-of-17) from the free-throw line. Dre Evans ranks second on the team in scoring with 9.2 points per game. Antonnio Benton leads the Lions with 5.8 rebounds per game.
• Jim Yarbrough is in his eight season as the head coach at Southeastern Louisiana and his 13th overall as a collegiate head coach. Yarbrough has an overall record of 109-104 at Southeastern Louisiana, including a 19-win season in 2009-10. Prior to taking over at Southeastern, Yarbrough spent five seasons (2000-05) at Valdosta State and guided the team to a pair of NCAA Division II Championship appearances.
Monday will mark the 92nd meeting all-time between ULM and Southeastern Louisiana with the Warhawks owning a 60-31 advantage in the series. ULM also owns a 37-9 record in games played in Monroe. Southeastern Louisiana has won the last six meetings, including a 63-60 victory in Hammond last season. Prior to last season the two teams hadn't met since ULM left the Southland Conference following the 2006 season.
LAST MEETING AGAINST
• Southeastern Louisiana pushed out to a 12-point halftime lead and held on for a 63-60 victory over ULM on Nov. 19, 2011 at the University Center in Hammond. ULM rallied with a 10-0 run midway through the second half to cut a 14-point deficit to four at 47-43 with 9:39 remaining.
• ULM never led in the second half, but got to within one in the final minute. After a pair of Daron Populist free throws gave the Lions a 63-60 lead with 5.7 seconds remaining, ULM's Fred Brown had his 3-point attempt rim out at the buzzer.
• Brown led the Warhawks with 16 points and six assists, while Charles Winborne contributed 15 points and Marcelis Hansberry finished with 11 points. Brandon Fortenberry paced the Lions with 23 points on 9-of-13 shooting, while Roosevelt Johnson chipped in 20 points and eight rebounds.
ULM wraps up a two-game home stand on Thursday when it takes on Southern University for the first time since the 1985-86 season. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. inside Fant-Ewing Coliseum.
Latest News | News Archive
Schedule / Scores
Roster | Statistics
Head Coach Keith Richard
2016-17 Quick Facts
2015-16 Media Guide | Archived Guides
Sun Belt Standings | Stats
Tickets | Sixth Man Club