templates/ArticleTopCenter.tmpl Strong Second Half Not Enough for Warhawks, Fall 71-58 - ULM Warhawks Athletics
Stewart Shelby State Farm
Trinity Ad
Article Image
Junior guard Elexar Tugler
Courtesy: Terrance Armstard/ulmwarhawks.com
Strong Second Half Not Enough for Warhawks, Fall 71-58
Courtesy: ulmwarhawks.com
Release: January 20, 2013
Print RSS

JONESBORO, Ark. -- ULM (3-15, 1-8) dropped its third straight game on Sunday afternoon at Arkansas State (9-9, 6-3). A strong second half from ULM was not enough as the Red Wolves won its fourth consecutive game.

The Warhawks outscored the home team 36-25 in the second half.

ASU came into the contest third in the conference in field goal percentage at .415 and outgunned ULM by shooting 48% from the floor and 54% from behind the arc.

Ashleigh Simmons and Jasmine Shaw led ULM with 12 points each while Alexar Tugler chipped in 11. Hanna Qedan led ASU with 17 points including three three-pointers.

A three-point play from Qedan gave ASU a 7-4 advantage with 16:45 on the clock. The run reached 7-0, making it 11-4, forcing Coach Mona Martin to burn a timeout at the 16-minute mark.

ULM ended the 12-0 run with a basket from Alexar Tugler with 13:33 left before the break. The Red Wolves led 20-8 at the 11:54 media timeout.

ASU's hot shooting continued, leading 37-16 with 6:30 on the clock. At halftime, the Red Wolves led 46-22 behind 15 points from Qedan. Alexar Tugler led ULM with six points. ASU shot 58% (17-of-29) from the floor and 71% (5-for-7) from three.

The Warhawks failed to hit three and did not attempt a free throw in the first twenty minutes.

ULM used an 11-4 run to get as close as 18. ASU led 52-33 at the under-16 media timeout. The Red Wolves regained a 20-point lead, 59-39, with 11:55 left in the game.

Alayshia Hunter converted a three-point play to cut ASU's lead to 67-52 with 4:32 remaining. ULM cut deficit to 11, 69-58, with 49 seconds left on a layup from Elexar Tugler. The Warhawks' comeback ran out of time and ASU's first half cushion proved to be plenty as the home squad cruised to the 71-58 win.

The Warhawks return to Monroe for a Saturday clash with Troy at 2 p.m.