|Setting the Stage
||ULM (3-14, 2-9 SBC) at FIU (11-10, 6-6 SBC)
||Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013
|Time||6:30 p.m. (CT)|
|Location||Miami, Fla. | U.S. Century Bank Arena (5,000)
||105.3 (Monroe) | ulmwarhawks.com|
|Internet||Live Stats | Twitter: @ULMWarhawks #WarhawkMBB
||Game Notes (PDF)
ULM (3-14, 2-9 SBC) wraps up a two-game road trip at FIU (11-10, 6-6 SBC) on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. CT inside U.S. Century Bank Arena. The Warhawks dropped a 76-71 decision at Florida Atlantic on Thursday. FIU is coming off a 66-64 loss at home to Middle Tennessee on Thursday. Saturday's game can be heard locally on KLIP 105.3 FM in Monroe or online at ulmwarhawks.com, with Nick White calling the action.
GAME: FLORIDA ATLANTIC RECAP
• ULM came up just short of completing the season sweep of Florida Atlantic as the Owls rallied for a 76-71 victory on Thursday inside FAU Arena. The Owls shot 51.7 percent in the second half to rally from a nine-point halftime deficit for the win.
• Meanwhile, the Warhawks shot 21.1 percent after halftime and finished 16-of-26 from the free-throw line. ULM shot 65.4 percent and scored a season-high 45 points in the opening half.
• Florida Atlantic used a 9-0 run -- all on 3-pointers -- to take a 67-63 lead with 4:08 to play. FAU's Pablo Bertone gave the Owls the lead for good (70-67) with a 3-pointer with 1:55 remaining. A pair of free throws from Stefan Moody sealed the FAU victory in the final seconds.
• Junior guard Amos Olatayo scored a career-high 25 points on 11-of-18 shooting to lead the way for ULM. It marked the second straight and fifth time this season that Olatayo has scored 20 or more points.
• Sophomore guard Trent Mackey added 14 points, including four 3-pointers, and junior forward Jayon James chipped in seven points, eight rebounds and a career-best nine assists. Junior forward Millaun Brown came off the bench for the first time this season and tallied nine points and nine rebounds.
• The Warhawks finished with season-highs in total rebounds (43), offensive rebounds (20) and steals (12). ULM had 10 fast-break points in the first half and had none in the second half.
• ULM ranks 11th in the Sun Belt in scoring with an average of 58.8 points per game. The Warhawks are shooting 41.4 percent from the field, 33.6 percent from 3-point range and 57.2 percent from the free-throw line. ULM also ranks second in the conference in assists per game (12.5), fourth in steals per game (7.6) and eighth in 3-point makes per game (5.8).
• The Warhawk defense has allowed 70-plus points just seven times this season. ULM ranks ninth in the Sun Belt in scoring defense, giving up an average of 69.9 points per game.
• ULM has had a balanced scoring attack this season with five players averaging at least 7.9 points per game. Seven different ULM players have scored in double-digits at least once this season and three different players have registered at least 20 points in a game.
• The Warhawks are 2-6 this season in games decided by nine points or less and 1-1 in overtime games this season.
• Junior Amos Olatayo leads the team and ranks sixth in the Sun Belt in scoring with 14.8 points per game in just 28.5 minutes per game. He has upped his scoring average to 16.2 points in Sun Belt games only. Olatayo has scored 20-plus points in back-to-back games and five times this season. The Alief, Texas native is averaging 17.3 points and 5.9 rebounds over ULM's past eight games while shooting 49.5 percent (52-of-105) from the field and 61 percent (25-of-41) from the free-throw line.
• Sophomore Trent Mackey scored in double-digits for eighth time this season with 14 points against Florida Atlantic (he scored in double figures five times all of last season). Mackey ranks second on the team in scoring with 10.2 points per game. He ranks sixth in the Sun Belt in 3-point percentage (.398) and fifth in 3-point makes per game (2.4). Mackey is 83-of-200 (.415) from 3-point range in his career.
• Junior Jayon James continued to fill up the stat sheet with seven points, eight rebounds, a career-high nine assists and two steals Saturday against Florida Atlantic. James ranks ninth in the Sun Belt in rebounds per game (6.8), third in assists per game (4.7) and 11th in steals per game (1.5). James also ranks fifth in the conference with 34.4 minutes per game (he is the only ULM player to average over 30 mpg).
• Junior Marcelis Hansberry has had the best offensive production of his career this season, averaging 7.9 points per game with seven double-digit scoring games. Hansberry averaged 4.9 points per game in his first two seasons at ULM.
• Junior R.J. McCray has started 16 straight games at the point guard position for ULM and is averaging 7.9 points and 2.2 assists per game this season. McCray has scored in double figures six times this season after notching double figures just three times in his first two seasons with the Warhawks. McCray also has six games with at least four assists this season.
• Junior Millaun Brown came off the bench for the first time all season against Florida Atlantic and tallied nine points and nine rebounds in 22 minutes. He has now had nine boards in back-to-back games to lead the Warhawks Brown is averaging 5.6 points and 5.5 rebounds per game and has scored in double-digits on three occasions this season.
• The Warhawks do not have a regular starter back from last season and returned just 28 percent of their scoring and 24 percent of their rebounding from a season ago.
• Jayon James is tied for sixth place in the Sun Belt with his four double-doubles. He is the only ULM player with a double-double this season.
• James' four double-doubles have come against Southeastern Louisiana (10 pts and 12 rbs), Southern (11 pts and 11 rbs), Florida Atlantic (26 pts and 10 rbs) and North Texas (19 pts and 10 rbs).
OLATAYO NAMED LSWA
PLAYER OF THE WEEK (JAN. 14)
• Amos Olatayo was named the Louisiana Sports Writers Association Men's Basketball Player of the Week on Jan. 14. Olatayo is the first ULM player to earn LSWA honors since Lawrence Gilbert did so in 2010.
• Olatayo averaged 20.5 points and 6.0 rebounds in two games, including a career-high 24 points on 9-of-15 shooting against Middle Tennessee (Jan. 12). Olatayo scored 17 points in the second half against the Blue Raiders' top-rated defense to help lead the Warhawks back from a 15-point deficit at halftime to within two midway through the second half. The Alief, Texas, native began the week with 17 points and eight rebounds in 27 minutes off the bench at Troy (Jan. 10).
• FIU had its five-game home winning streak snapped on Saturday with a 66-64 loss to Middle Tennessee. The Panthers led by as many as 20 points in the first half before the SBC-leading Blue Raiders came roaring back in the second half and won the game in the final seconds. FIU shot 42.6 percent in the game and finished with a commanding 29-12 advantage off turnovers.
• The Panthers rank fourth in the Sun Belt in scoring offense (69.0 ppg) and 10th in scoring defense (70.5 ppg). FIU is shooting 42.1 percent from the field, 34.1 percent from 3-point range and 69.4 percent from the free-throw line.
• Junior Tymell Murphy leads three FIU players in double-digit scoring with 15.3 points per game. Murphy leads the SBC in field-goal percentage (.598) and ranks fifth in scoring and fifth in rebounding (7.7 rpg). Malik Smith scores 14.3 points per game and leads the conference in 3-point makes per game (3.0). Jerome Fink adds 10.0 points and ranks seventh in the SBC with 7.1 rebounds per contest.
• Richard Pitino, the son of Louisville head coach Rick Pitino, is in his first season as the head coach at FIU. Prior to earning the job at FIU, Pitino served under his father as an assistant coach at Louisville. Pitino has also served as an assistant coach at Florida under Billy Donovan and Duquesne under Ron Everhart.
ULM owns a 4-2 overall record against FIU, including a 54-50 victory over the Panthers in Miami last season. The series has been a close one throughout as all six games have been decided by eight points or less.
ULM returns home to Fant-Ewing Coliseum to take on UALR on Thursday (Feb. 7) at 7:30 p.m.
Latest News | News Archive
Schedule / Scores
Roster | Statistics
Head Coach Keith Richard
2016-17 Quick Facts
2015-16 Media Guide | Archived Guides
Sun Belt Standings | Stats
Tickets | Sixth Man Club