MONROE, La. -- The ULM women's tennis team improved to 9-1 with its 5-2 win over regional foe UAB (8-4) Monday afternoon at Raymond Heard Stadium. The Warhawks improved their home record to 6-0. It was the squad's 11th straight victory at home dating back to last season.
ULM fought hard for its 10th straight doubles point of the year. The Blazer duo of Isabel Fernandez and Elaine Simon defeated Medy Blankvoort and Justyna Krol at third doubles to start the day. The Warhawks rallied and took both of the top two flights by 9-8 tallies. Sophie Rufyikiri and Ema Turudija won their tiebreaker 7-3 over UAB's Menanteau Moolman and Rachel Daniell. ULM's Silvia Tumova and Petra Horakova improved to 7-0 with a 7-4 tiebreak victory against Sarah Witkowski and Caroline Faught.
Blankvoort cruised to a 6-1, 6-2 win over Fernandez at second singles. Turudija posted the only 6-0 set of the day in her 6-0, 6-4 defeat over Moolman at No. 5.
Tumova recorded a dramatic 7-5, 6-4 win at No. 3 singles. Krol earned a 6-4, 6-2 victoy over Lauther in the fourth flight.
The Warhawks are back in action Friday, March 15, at UL-Lafayette. The doubles matches begin at 2 p.m.
ULM 5, UAB 2
1. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Sophie Rufyikiri (ULM), 6-2, 6-3
2. Medy Blankvoort (ULM) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB), 6-1, 6-2
3. Silvia Tumova (ULM) def. Caroline Faught (UAB), 7-5, 6-4
4. Justyna Krol (ULM) def. Amy Lowther (UAB), 6-4, 6-2
5. Ema Turudija (ULM) def. Menanteau Moolman (UAB), 6-0, 6-4
6. Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Petra Horakova (ULM), 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (7-5)
1. Sophie Rufyikiri/Ema Turudija (ULM) def. Menanteau Moolman/Rachel Daniell (UAB), 9-8 (7-3)
2. Silvia Tumova/Petra Horakova (ULM) def. Sarah Witkowski/Caroline Faught (UAB), 9-8 (7-4)
3. Isabel Fernandez/Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Medy Blankvoort/Justyna Krol (ULM), 8-4