ULM to Kickoff 2013 Campaign Saturday Night at No. 16 Oklahoma
MONROE, La. -- The 2013 ULM football season will officially get underway Saturday night as the squad travels to Norman, Okla., for a Saturday night tilt at nationally-ranked Oklahoma.
|Setting the Stage
||ULM (0-0, 0-0 Sun Belt) at No. 16 Oklahoma (0-0, 0-0 Big 12)|
||Saturday, Aug. 31, 2013|
|Time||6:07 p.m. (CT)|
|Location||Norman, Okla. (Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium)|
|Television||Fox Sports Network (Pay-Per-View) [Channel Lineup]|
|Radio||104.1 FM (Monroe) | KJLO.com|
|Video||SoonerSports TV (via Fox Sports) ($)|
|Internet||Live Stats | Twitter: @ULM_FB & #TalonsOut|
|Team Info||ULM Gameday Central | Oklahoma Football|
First and Ten...
• When ULM lines up against Oklahoma Saturday night, it will mark the sixth straight season that the Warhawks have opened the season against a ranked foe... The streak began in 2008 when ULM faced No. 10 Auburn... Since then, ULM has opened seasons with: No. 2 Texas (2009), No. 14 Arkansas (2010), No. 5 Florida State (2011), and No. 8 Arkansas (2012).
• Saturday’s game marks just the ninth time since joining the NCAA ranks in 1975 that ULM has played a game in the month of August... The Warhawks are 4-4 in the month of August
• After lining up against the Sooners, the Warhawks will have faced eight of the current 10 members of the Big 12 Conference... The only schools ULM has not faced are Texas Tech and West Virginia.
• The contest against the Sooners is the first trip to the state of Oklahoma for the Warhawks since the 1999 season when they defeated Tulsa, 37-34, in the season finale (Nov. 13)... All-time it is just the fourth trip to the state for ULM (at Tulsa, 1977; at Oklahoma State, 1997).
• A total of seven Warhawks earned preseason recognition from either the Sun Belt Conference or a preseason watch list (Josh Allen, OL; Kolton Browning, QB; Kentarius Caldwell, NT; Je’Ron Hamm, WR; Justin Manton, K / P; Tavarese Maye, WR; Isaiah Newsome, S).
• Four different Warhawks enter their final season in a ULM uniform with 30 or more career starts (Kolton Browning, 36; Isaiah Newsome, 31; Josh Allen, 30; Tavarese Maye, 30).
• Kolton Browning enters his senior season at the top of the charts with 60 career touchdown passes... He is tied with Steven Jyles (2002-05) with 76 total career touchdowns... Browning meanwhile ranks in the top 10 in seven other categories including the number two spot in passing yards, passing attempts, pass completions, total yards of offense and plays.
• Three other Warhawks enter the 2013 season in the top 10 in various statistical categories... Jyruss Edwards sits fourth in program-history with 21 career rushing touchdowns... Tavarese Maye ranks seventh with 149 career receptions... Justin Manton is sixth in punting average (39.8) and ninth in total points by a kicker (124).
• A total of seven Warhawks have ties to the state of Oklahoma... Todd Berry (Head Coach) calls Miami his hometown, while Steve Farmer (Asst. Head Coach / Off. Coord. / O-Line) lists Coweta as his hometown... The five players from the state of Oklahoma are: Colby Mitchell (OL; Bartlesville); Ben Risenhoover (OL; Jenks); Jeremy Burton (OL; Muskogee); Brayle Brown (QB; Shawnee); Ray Stovall (LB; Tulsa).
• Last season, the Warhawks played in a FBS-high four overtime games and ULM won three of those contests... ULM def. No. 8 Arkansas, 34-31 (OT; Little Rock, Ark.; Sept. 8); ULM lost at Auburn, 28-31 (OT; Auburn, Ala.; Sept. 15); ULM def. Western Kentucky, 43-42 (OT; Bowling Green, Ky.; Oct. 20); ULM def. FIU, 23-17 (OT; Miami, Fla.; Nov. 24).
• ULM’s upset of Arkansas marked the first time a Sun Belt Conference school defeated a team ranked in the top 10... It was also just the second win for the SBC over a ranked foe (Troy def. No. 19 Missouri, 24-14; Sept. 9, 2004)... Arkansas State made it two wins over ranked opponents for the SBC last season as they defeated No. 25 Kent State in the GoDaddy.com Bowl (W, 17-13; Jan. 6).
• ULM won eight games during the record-setting 2012 campaign... The eight wins were the most since the squad won nine games in the final year at the 1-AA level in 1993.
• The Warhawks made their first bowl appearance of the FBS-era as they battled the Ohio Bobcats in the AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La.
Saturday’s matchup between ULM and Oklahoma will be the first ever meeting between the two schools... The Warhawks have faced seven of the 10 members that currently make up the Big 12 Conference... After kickoff at Oklahoma, the only Big 12 Conference schools that ULM will have not battled on the gridiron will be Texas Tech and West Virginia.
This weekend’s trip to Norman, Okla., will be the Warhawk football program’s fourth trip all-time to the state of Oklahoma... ULM first visited the state of Oklahoma in 1977 when it dropped a 37-35 decision at Tulsa... In 1997, the squad faced Oklahoma State in the only meeting between the Warhawks and the Cowboys, a contest OSU won, 38-7 (Sept. 27)... ULM last made its way to Oklahoma in 1999 when it defeated Tulsa, 37-34, in the Warhawks’ regular season finale (Nov. 13).
Senior QB Kolton Browning enters his final season in a Warhawk uniform at the top of the charts with 60 career touchdown passes... During the 42-16 win over North Texas (Nov. 17, 2012), Browning became the new leader as he surpassed Steven Jyles (55 TDs; 2002-05)... Browning is tied with Jyles for the top spot in total career touchdowns with 76... The Mabank, Texas, native also ranks in the top-10 in pass attempts (2nd; 1,225), pass completions (2nd; 751), passing yards (2nd; 8,084), plays (2nd; 1,685), total offense yards (2nd; 9,400), rushing attempts (6th; 460) and rushing touchdowns (10th; 16).
Three other Warhawks enter the 2013 season in the top-10 in various statistical categories... RB Jyruss Edwards sits fourth in program-history with 21 career rushing touchdowns... WR Tavarese Maye ranks seventh with 149 career receptions... K / P Justin Manton is sixth in punting average (39.8) and ninth in total points by a kicker (124).
Todd Berry enters his fourth season at the helm of the Warhawk program... Berry returned to Monroe in Dec. 2009 when he was named the program’s 14th head coach... Last season, Berry guided ULM to an FBS-era best eight wins as the squad finished tied for second in the Sun Belt (6-2) and made its first appearance in a bowl game since moving up to the FBS ranks (1994-pres.)... The Warhawks made the short trip west to Shreveport, La., as they battled the Bobcats of Ohio in the 2012 AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl.
When the preseason Sun Belt Conference poll was released on July 15 at the annual Sun Belt football media day event in New Orleans, ULM garnered 57 total votes and finished in a tie for first with UL-Lafayette... The Warhawks were tabbed preseason number six in 2012 before finishing 8-5 overall and 6-2 in conference play, placing them in a tie for second.
On Thursday, Aug. 1, the annual USA Today/Coaches’ preseason poll was released and three of ULM’s opponents were either ranked or received votes... Oklahoma is ranked 16th in the first poll of the 2013 season... Receiving votes were Baylor (80) and Arkansas State (1)... If the poll was extended, Baylor would be ranked 29th and Arkansas State would be tied for 49th.
The annual preseason AP poll was released on Saturday, Aug. 17 and two of ULM’s opponents were either ranked or received votes... Oklahoma was ranked 16th in the poll... Baylor received a total of 92 votes in the poll and if the poll was extended, the Bears would be ranked 27th.