Warhawks Host Samford in 2013-14 Home Opener
The Warhawks (0-1, 0-0 SBC) hung around for most of an 80-63 defeat in their season opener against No. 5/6 Kansas on Nov. 8. ULM held a 15-13 advantage with 13 minutes left in the first half and trailed just 42-37 after scoring the first five points of the second half.
ULM featured three new starters in the contest including junior Marvin Williams and freshman Nick Coppola who scored 19 and 10 points, respectively. Williams’ output was a game-high as he went 8-for-13 from the field and grabbed a team-high six rebounds in 24 minutes. Coppola played 31 minutes and hit a pair of shots to go along with his five made free throws.
Seniors Amos Olatayo and Jayon James played 33 minutes apiece as Olatayo registered his ninth consecutive double-figure scoring game with 11 points on 5-for-10 shooting. James dished out a team-high four assists and also hit a pair of shots.
Samford (1-2, 0-0 SoCon) is coming off a tough 105-56 loss at Indiana on Friday. The Bulldogs won their season opener 79-62 against Martin Methodist before falling to Sun Belt Conference opponent UT-Arlington 88-75. Samford has four players who average double-figure scoring, including Tim Williams who averages a double-double with 12.7 points and 12.3 rebounds a game.
The game will be the first of three non-conference home contests for the Warhawks as they will host Thomas on Monday, Dec. 9 before a marquee matchup against Louisiana Tech on Sunday, Dec. 22.
Live radio coverage can be heard on KLIP LA 105.3 (Nick White, play-by-play). Follow the ULM men’s basketball program on twitter, @ULM_MBB, for all of the latest news and live in-game updates.
- Junior Marvin Williams posted a game-high 19 points in the season opener against No. 5/6 Kansas, outscoring Andrew Wiggins who was named Preseason National Player of the Year by cbssports.com. Williams went 8-for-13 from the field and grabbed a team-high six rebounds in 24 minutes
- Senior Amos Olatayo has scored in double-figures in nine consecutive games dating back to last season. Olatayo put in 11 points on 5-for-10 shooting against Kansas. He was ULM’s leading scorer in 2012-13, averaging 17 points per game in league action. Olatayo has a team-high 18 double-figure scoring games in his career, including nine 20+ games.
- ULM is 384-163 all-time in Fant-Ewing Coliseum and enters its 43rd season in the arena
- ULM won its non-conference home opener last season, 68-61 over Southeastern Louisiana in overtime
- The Warhawks are 6-4 all-time against Samford, including a 4-0 mark at home
- ULM is 15-6 all-time against teams currently in the Southern Conference
- Senior Jayon James was named to the SBC Preseason All-Conference Third-Team after leading the squad in minutes, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals last season. James and Olatayo were both named to the College Sports Madness SBC Preseason All-Conference Third-Team
- ULM earned the 2012-13 SBC team academic award and was one of 21 NCAA Division I men’s basketball programs to earn Team Academic Excellence Awards from the National Association of Basketball Coaches
- The Warhawks carry a full scholarship roster for the first time under head coach Keith Richard after inheriting APR penalties. Richard is in his fourth season at the helm of the program