MONROE, La. -- The ULM sand volleyball program won its second straight dual match by downing in-state rival Tulane in a 3-2 decision at the ULM Sand Volleyball Courts.
Through rain, cooler weather and strong winds, the Warhawks (4-9) were able to record victories at the top two flights and the fifth flight to get the win over the Green Wave (5-4)
“It was such a great win for the whole team,” head coach David Fischer said.
“They’ve been working really hard all year. They’re both new to the game. They are both freshmen and they weren’t getting the results, but we kept telling them they were going to win. Today, they got it against a tough Tulane team and to have it be one of the three, that makes a difference for the squad,” Fischer added.
Tulane took the fourth position in 2-0 fashion to tie the match at one point apiece.
After a 35-minute lightning delay, play resumed at the third and second positions, and the Warhawks took the first set on both courts soundly. Blanca Ocana and Michelle McNamee needed extra time to complete their 2-0 sweep at the No. 2, but they took the set 22-20. Tulane’s Hannah Holmes and Anna Wruck rallied to edge ULM’s Hope Pawlik and Hadley Swartz 2-1 at the No.3 spot.
“I’m good during the rain delays. It’s chilly during the rain, but if you don’t get the rain, you don’t get the beautiful rainbow we had stretching over Brown Stadium. “
“Hopefully, we can carry this momentum into the Fiesta on Siesta Key this weekend.”
The Fiesta on Siesta Key begins Friday with the resumption of the Tulane Pelican Classic gold bracket final, which will feature Markova and Araya. The Fiesta and Siesta tournaments begin Saturday.
For more updates on the Warhawks, follow @ULM_SandVB on Twitter.
ULM 3, Tulane 2
1. Zuzana Markova/Marcela Araya (ULM) d. Tea Juric/Jackie Wegner (TLN), 21-12, 21-12
2. Michelle McNamee/Blanca Ocana (ULM) d. Grace Weaver/Annie Schurtz (TLN), 21-16, 22-20
3. Hannah Holmes/Anna Wruck (TLN) d. Hope Pawlik/Hadley Swartz (ULM), 18-21, 21-18, 15-12
4. Courtney Liddle/Olivia Utt (TLN) d. Rachel Arnason/Alannah Cullum (ULM), 22-20, 21-16
5. Celine Flores/Kaitlyn Shearer (ULM) d. Miah Diirell/Sarah Strasner (TLN), 21-18, 21-16