ARLINGTON, Texas -- ULM scored the final four runs of the game as the Warhawks claimed a 7-5 win over UT Arlington in the series finale Saturday night at Clay Gould Ballpark.
The Warhawks (13-20, 5-7) plated the first run of the game in the second inning. After a single by Chet Simoneaux and a free pass to Josh Faciane (hit-by-pitch), Anthony Herrera delivered a RBI single through the left side to put ULM in front, 1-0.
UTA (14-18, 6-6) evened the game at 1-1 with a single run in the bottom of the third inning and in the fifth, the Mavericks plated an unearned run to take a 2-1 lead. In the sixth, UTA led off the frame with a solo homer to push the lead to two runs (3-1).
ULM’s offense got help with two outs in the top of the seventh inning as a throwing error allowed two Warhawks to move into scoring position. Catcher Greg McCall’s throw back to the mound hit Kodie Tidwell’s bat and allowed Chet Simoneaux to move to third and Anthony Herrera to reach second. Tidwell made UTA pay for the error with a single to the gap in right center to even the game at 3-3.
The Mavericks answered right back with two runs off of Warhawk reliever Alex Dumaine to retake the lead at 5-3 after seven innings of play.
ULM made it three straight frames of two runs as the Warhawks again tied the game, this time at 5-5. Both Warhawk runs in the top of the eighth inning were unearned. Rasch scored on a sac fly by Justin Stawychny and Jacob Stockton tied the game as he scored when Simoneaux reached on a fielding error at third.
UTA got a two-out hit to left in the bottom of the eighth, but McCall was tagged out at home as he tried to score from second base. Stawychny was the Warhawk to come up with the big defensive play as his throw from the outfield beat McCall by several steps resulting in an easy tag by Simoneaux.
The Warhawks rallied for the win as the squad scored two runs in the top of the 10th inning to claim the 7-5 win.
Tyler Bray (4-3) earned the win in relief as he tossed four innings of shutout baseball allowing three hits and two walks with four punchouts.
Jess Amedee (1-4) was tagged with the loss after allowing two runs on two hits with three walks and two strikeouts in 1.1 innings of work.
ULM will kickoff a five-game homestand Tuesday night as it welcomes Northwestern State to Warhawk Field for a 6 p.m. first pitch.
For updates throughout the season on the ULM baseball team, be sure to follow the squad on twitter @ULM_BSB. Support the Warhawks through participation in the Athletic Foundation, join the ULMAF by calling 318-342-5415. Be sure to cheer on your Warhawks in person; to purchase tickets, please call 318-342-3ULM or visit the athletic ticket homepage.
· Josh Faciane earned his ninth free pass of the season as he was hit by a pitch in the second inning… On the season, Faciane has now been hit by four pitches and has drawn five walks.
· Chet Simoneaux scored two runs in the finale vs. UTA to tie a career-high… It marked the third time in his career that he scored multiple runs in a game.
· Kodie Tidwell recorded his fourth multiple RBI game of the season with a pair of RBI Saturday night… Tidwell is now tied with Keelin Rasch for second on the team.
· ULM improves to 3-1 in extra inning games in 2014.
· ULM 1, UTA 0; Top 2 – Anthony Herrera singled through the left side; Chet Simoneaux scored from second.
· ULM 1, UTA 1; Bottom 3 – Derek Miller sacrifice fly to center field; Brady Cox scored from third.
· UTA 2, ULM 1; Bottom 5 – Derek Miller reached on fielder’s choice to third; Brady Cox scored from third (unearned).
· UTA 3, ULM 1; Bottom 6 – Matt Shortall homered to center field.
· ULM 3, UTA 3; Top 7 – Kodie Tidwell singled to right center; Chet Simoneaux scored from third, Anthony Herrera scored from second (unearned).
· UTA 5, ULM 3; Bottom 7 – Derek Miller singled up the middle; Eric Tate scored from third, Brady Cox scored from second.
· UTA 5, ULM 4; Top 8 – Justin Stawychny sacrifice fly to left; Keelin Rasch scored from third (unearned).
· ULM 5, UTA 5; Top 8 – Chet Simoneaux reached on error at third; Jacob Stockton scored from second (unearned).
· ULM 6, UTA 5; Top 10 – Vincent Dellocono walks; Dalton Herrington scores from third.· ULM 7, UTA 5; Top 10 – Chet Simoneaux hit by pitch; Justin Stawychny scores from third.
Latest News | News Archive
Schedule / Scores
2017 Game Notes
2016 Guide | Archived Guides
2017 Quick Facts
2017 Team Hotel Info
2017 Warhawk Field Policies
Sun Belt Standings | Stats
Warhawk Field | Tickets
ULM in the MLB Draft
Recruits | Alumni