MOBILE, Ala. -- ULM and South Alabama battled back and forth all afternoon, but in the end the Warhawks were able to claim an 8-7 win in 11 innings Sunday afternoon at Stanky Field.
South Alabama (19-24, 9-11) ended a streak of three straight scoreless innings between the two teams as it took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the fourth. With runners at first and second and two outs, Andrew Tindell legged out an infield single and a throwing error by Dalton Todd allowed Connor Hawthorne to score the game’s first run.
The Warhawks (18-28, 8-13) capitalized on a pair of fielding errors in the sixth to take a 3-1 lead. Dalton Herrington reached on an error by first baseman Hayden Jones. Ross Moore followed and broke up pitcher Hunter Soleymani’s no-hitter with a single through the right side. After Herrington stole third, Justin Stawychny doubled down the left field line to tie the game at 1-1.
Later in the frame, with two outs, Todd reached on a fielding error by shortstop Drew LaBounty and that allowed Stawychny and Jacob Stockton to race home and put the Warhawks in front by two runs (3-1).
The Jaguars got one run back in the home half of the sixth as Garrett DeGallier’s double down the left field line allowed Hawthorne to score. After DeGallier’s double, the Warhawks made a pitching change and Carey Taylor got the Warhawks out of the inning with back-to-back strikeouts.
In the bottom of the seventh, the Jaguars loaded the bases after two consecutive errors and a walk. South Alabama was able to even the game at 3-3 on a sacrifice fly to center by Matt Wojciechowski and the home club regained the lead on a RBI double by Connor Hawthorne.
In the eighth, the Warhawks surged ahead with a four-run frame to take a 7-4 lead. With one out in the inning, Herrington was hit by a pitch and Moore followed with a walk to force a pitching change as Matt Peacock replaced starter Hunter Soleymani. Stawychny was able to drive in Herrington with a single that fell in no man’s land in left field and evened the game at 4-4.
After Stockton drew a walk to load the bases, Todd worked back from a 1-2 count to draw a bases loaded walk and make it 5-4 in favor of the Warhawks. After another pitching change (J.A. Harville), Josh Faciane reached on a fielder’s choice and thanks to a throwing error on an attempted double play, Stawychny and Stockton scored to give ULM a three-run lead (7-4).
South Alabama used a three-run bottom of the ninth to even Sunday’s finale at 7-7. Hayden Jones delivered a two-RBI single, while Garrett DeGallier evened the game with a sacrifice fly.
In the top of the 11th, Rasch reached on an error with two outs and Anthony Herrera was able to race home to give the Warhawks an 8-7 lead.
Tyler Bray (6-3) earned the win in relief as he worked around a pair of two out hits in the 11th to give ULM the win. Bray allowed three runs on five hits with two walks and five punchouts in four innings of work.
Ben Taylor (3-2) was tagged with the loss as he surrendered the game-winning run in the 11th. Taylor allowed one unearned run on one hit with one walk and two strikeouts in two innings of work.
Stawychny led the Warhawks with two hits, two runs and two RBI; Herrington and Stockton also scored two runs each.
The Warhawks will return to action next weekend as they entertain WKU in a three-game series at Warhawk Field beginning Friday night at 6 p.m.
For updates throughout the season on the ULM baseball team, be sure to follow the squad on twitter @ULM_BSB. Support the Warhawks through participation in the Athletic Foundation, join the ULMAF by calling 318-342-5415. Be sure to cheer on your Warhawks in person; to purchase tickets, please call 318-342-3ULM or visit the athletic ticket homepage.
· USA 1, ULM 0 – Bottom 4: Andrew Tindell singled to catcher; Connor Hawthorne advanced to third, scored on a throwing error by catcher (unearned).
· ULM 1, USA 1 – Top 6: Justin Stawychny doubled down the left field line; Dalton Herrington scored from third (unearned).
· ULM 3, USA 1 – Top 6: Dalton Todd reached on fielding error at shortstop; Justin Stawychny scored from third (unearned); Jacob Stockton scored from second (unearned).
· ULM 3, USA 2 – Bottom 6: Garrett DeGallier doubled down the left field line; Connor Hawthorne scored from second.
· ULM 3, USA 3 – Bottom 7: Matt Wojciechowski flied out to center field, sacrifice fly; Cole Jarman scored from third (unearned).
· USA 4, ULM 3 – Bottom 7: Connor Hawthorne doubled down the right field line; Davis Knapp scored from third (unearned).
· ULM 4, USA 4 – Top 8: Justin Stawychny singled to left field; Dalton Herrington scored from second.
· ULM 5, USA 4 – Top 8: Dalton Todd walked; Ross Moore scored from third.
· ULM 7, USA 4 – Top 8: Josh Faciane reached on fielder’s choice, advanced to second on throwing error at second base; Justin Stawychny scored from third; Jacob Stockton scored from second (unearned).
· ULM 7, USA 6 – Bottom 9: Hayden Jones singled through the left side; Davis Knapp scored from third; Cameron Cummings scored from second.
· ULM 7, USA 7 – Bottom 9: Garrett DeGallier flied out to left field, sacrifice fly; Matt Wojciechowski scored from third.
· ULM 8, USA 7 – Top 11: Keelin Rasch reached on a fielding error at shortstop; Anthony Herrera scored from second (unearned).