MONROE, La. -- ULM made it three-straight walk off wins over Grambling State as the Warhawks picked up a 6-5 win over the Tigers Tuesday night at Warhawk Field.
Trailing 5-4 entering the bottom of the ninth, the Warhawks (20-30) got a leadoff walk by Jacob Stockton and later put two men on as Cody Stone drew a one-out walk and was replaced by pinch runner Vincent Dellocono. Kodie Tidwell, the hero from the first meeting just 13 days ago, delivered a RBI single through the right side to tie the game and put two runners in scoring position as he moved to second on the throw to the plate.
After an intentional walk to Dalton Herrington, Keelin Rasch battled during an eight-pitch at-bat to draw a bases loaded walk and allow Dellocono to cross home plate and score the winning run.
ULM reliever Tyler Bray (8-4), who entered in the eighth, earned the win in relief despite allowing one run on four hits with two strikeouts. Issac O’Bear (1-4) was tagged with the loss as he walked two batters and two runs came around to score in the ninth.
Like they did on April 23, the Tigers (14-30) scored first run of the game in the top of the first inning. Edwin Drexler was able to score on a RBI single by Yariel Medina.
In the home half of the second, the Warhawks plated a pair of unearned runs to take a 2-1 lead. Justin Stawychny and Chet Simoneaux each scored in the frame to give ULM the lead.
In the third, Grambling State was able to tie the game at 2-2, but ULM responded in the home half of the fourth with two more runs to regain the lead at 4-2. Simoneaux scored his second run of the game to give ULM the lead and Stockton followed with an unearned run to put the Warhawks ahead by two.
The Tigers scored a single run in the fifth, seventh and eighth innings to take a 5-4 lead after 7 1/2 innings of play.
The Warhawks will close out the home portion of its 2014 slate this weekend as it hosts Georgia State in a key three-game Sun Belt Conference series. The series will begin Friday night at 6 p.m., followed by contests on Saturday (6 p.m.) and Sunday (1 p.m.).
For updates throughout the season on the ULM baseball team, be sure to follow the squad on twitter @ULM_BSB. Support the Warhawks through participation in the Athletic Foundation, join the ULMAF by calling 318-342-5415. Be sure to cheer on your Warhawks in person; to purchase tickets, please call 318-342-3ULM or visit the athletic ticket homepage.
· Tanner Hebert recorded his first career hit Tuesday night and he finished the evening 2-for-3 with two RBI.
· Tyler Bray picked up his eighth win of the season and he is in rare company as he is one of 14 pitchers in all of Division I to lead his team in both wins and saves.
· GSU 1, ULM 0 – Top 1: Yariel Medina singled through the left side; Edwin Drexler scored from third.
· ULM 1, GSU 1 – Bottom 2: Chet Simoneaux struckout swinging, reached first on wild pitch; Justin Stawychny scored on wild pitch (unearned).
· ULM 2, GSU 1 – Bottom 2: Tanner Hebert singled to right center; Chet Simoneaux scored from third (unearned).
· ULM 2, GSU 2 – Top 3: Korey Hall grounded out to shortstop; Juan Bueno scored from third.
· ULM 3, GSU 2 – Bottom 4: Jacob Stockton reached on a fielder’s choice to shortstop, advanced to second on throwing error by second baseman; Chet Simoneaux scored from third.
· ULM 4, GSU 2 – Bottom 4: Tanner Hebert singled through the right side; Jacob Stockton scored from second (unearned).
· ULM 4, GSU 3 – Top 5: Korey Hall reached on a fielder’s choice at shortstop, reached second on throwing error by second baseman; Juan Bueno scored from second (unearned).
· ULM 4, GSU 4 – Top 7: Yariel Medina reached on a fielder’s choice to second base; Evan Drexler scored from third.
· GSU 5, ULM 4 – Top 8: Kris Minter singled to pitcher; Johnathon Tineo scored from third.
· ULM 5, GSU 5 – Bottom 9: Kodie Tidwell singled through the right side; Jacob Stockton scored from third.
· ULM 6, GSU 5 – Bottom 9: Keelin Rasch walked; Vincent Dellocono scored from third.