MOBILE, Ala. -- ULM starting pitcher Alex Hermeling went the distance on Tuesday morning as he helped the Warhawks pick up an 8-6 victory over WKU at Stanky Field. With the win, the Warhawks advance to Friday afternoon where they will play the loser of the Texas State/UL-Lafayette game (Thursday, 4 p.m.).
Hermeling (2-5) threw 125 pitches during his complete game effort as he helped the Warhawks survive Thursday’s elimination game against the Hilltoppers. The right-hander allowed six runs on eight hits with three walks and seven punchouts. He is the first Warhawk pitcher to record a complete game since Shelby Aulds recorded a complete game against Arkansas State (Monroe, Apr. 21, 2013).
The Warhawks (23-35) struck first on Thursday morning as they plated a trio of runs in the home half of the first inning. Kodie Tidwell drew a walk and Keelin Rasch followed with a single up the middle to give the Warhawks two on with one out. Dalton Herrington was able to load the bases with a bloop single to right center.
Ross Moore, like he did on Thursday, drove in the game’s first run as he delivered a sacrifice fly to center that allowed Tidwell to score from third. Rasch was able to move to third and a throwing error by WKU’s center fielder David Simmons allowed Rasch to score and Herrington to move to third. Justin Stawychny tallied a RBI single through the left side as Herrington scored to put the Warhawks ahead, 3-0.
In the bottom of the second, Chet Simoneaux tripled off of the wall in left center and came in to score on a RBI single up the middle by Jeff Fuller. Fuller wound up being left stranded on base as the Warhawks were unable to add any more runs.
In the top of the fourth, the Hilltoppers (29-28) were able to even the contest with a pair of two-out hits. Anderson Miller got WKU on the scoreboard with a RBI single through the left side. Cody Wofford followed with a walk to load the bases and Philip Diedrick cleared the bags with a double to right field to even the game at 4-4.
The Warhawks re-gained the lead with a single run in the bottom of the third. Herrington tripled off of the wall in right field and was able to score on a RBI groundout by Moore. Moore’s second RBI of the day gave the Warhawks a 5-4 advantage.
ULM increased its lead to four runs as it tallied three runs in the home half of the fifth inning. With one out, Herrington singled up the middle and was able to move to second on a wild pitch. Moore followed with a single over the head of shortstop Cody Wofford and Herrington was able to race home. Moore came in to score thanks to a wild pitch and a throwing error by catcher Ryan Messex. With two outs in the frame and Stockton on second after a double, Chet Simoneaux delivered a RBI single up the middle to put the Warhawks ahead, 8-4.
WKU set the final tally at 8-6 as the Hilltoppers plated a pair of runs in the top of the eighth inning. Cody Wofford delivered a RBI single, while Philip Diedrick brought in a run on a sacrifice fly.
Moore who had just one hit, led the Warhawks with three RBI and he also scored one run. Herrington, meanwhile, had three hits and he scored three runs.
For updates throughout the season on the ULM baseball team, be sure to follow the squad on twitter @ULM_BSB. Support the Warhawks through participation in the Athletic Foundation, join the ULMAF by calling 318-342-5415. Be sure to cheer on your Warhawks in person; to purchase tickets, please call 318-342-3ULM or visit the athletic ticket homepage.
· Chet Simoneaux recorded his first career triple to lead off the bottom of the second inning… Dalton Herrington led off the bottom of the third with his second triple of the season (third career).
· Alex Hermeling set a new career-high with 9.0 innings pitched… His previous high was 6.0 IP, which he achieved four times (most recent: at UT Arlington, Apr. 5, 2014).
· Ross Moore has tallied three RBI in each of the first two games of the Sun Belt Conference Tournament.
· Four different Warhawks had multi-hit performances on Thursday (Dalton Herrington – 3; Justin Stawychny – 2; Chet Simoneaux – 2; Jeff Fuller – 2).
· Jeff Fuller finished the game 2-for-2 and he reached base all four plate appearances as he was hit by two pitches.
· ULM 2, WKU 0 – Bottom 1: Ross Moore flied out to center field, sacrifice fly; Kodie Tidwell scored from third; Keelin Rasch advanced to third, scored on a throwing error by center fielder.
· ULM 3, WKU 0 – Bottom 1: Justin Stawychny singled through the left side; Dalton Herrington scored from third (unearned).
· ULM 4, WKU 0 – Bottom 2: Jeff Fuller singled up the middle; Chet Simoneaux scored from third.
· ULM 4, WKU 1 – Top 3: Anderson Miller singled through the left side; Regan Flaherty scored from second.
· ULM 4, WKU 4 – Top 3: Philip Diedrick doubled to right field; Scott Wilcox scored from third; Anderson Miller scored from second; Cody Wofford scored from first.
· ULM 5, WKU 4 – Bottom 3: Ross Moore grounded out to second base; Dalton Herrington scored from third.
· ULM 6, WKU 4 – Bottom 5: Ross Moore singled to short stop, advanced to second on the throw; Dalton Herrington scored from second.
· ULM 7, WKU 4 – Bottom 5: Ross Moore advanced to third on a wild pitch, scored on a throwing error by catcher.
· ULM 8, WKU 4 – Bottom 5: Chet Simoneaux singled up the middle, advanced to second on fielding error by center fielder; Jacob Stockton scored from second.
· ULM 8, WKU 5 – Top 8: Cody Wofford singled through the left side; Ryan Church scored from third.
· ULM 8, WKU 6 – Top 8: Philip Diedrick flied out to left field, sacrifice fly; Anderson Miller scored from third.
Latest News | News Archive
Schedule / Scores
Head Coach Bruce Peddie | Coaching Staff
2017 Game Notes
2016 Guide | Archived Guides
2017 Quick Facts
2017 Team Hotel Info
2017 Warhawk Field Policies
Sun Belt Standings | Stats
Warhawk Field | Tickets
ULM in the MLB Draft
Recruits | Alumni